Sunday, May 26, 2019

A Visit to the "Valley"

In April we had the opportunity to go to the Rio Grande Valley. We visited the World Birding Center - actually, we visited several of the sites that compromise the center. We started in Harlingen and ended at the HQ's for the center in the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park. This was on my bucket list and I got to check it off, but I am wanting to go back next year. Here are some of the pictures from the trip.














Chacalaca

Green Jay

In the center is a Hawk Watch. We were there for about 1 1/2 hours and saw about 200 hawks migrating. I do not have a long lens for the new camera yet, so I could not get a good picture as they were all in flight. The volunteer docents working the watch could tell what kind of hawk we were seeing.


On the wall were numerous Blue Spine Lizards. As I got closer they were into hiding, again no long lens.



The Center and Park ware right on the border. The Border Patrol was evident all along the park.  












Also included a stop at the World Butterfly Center. This is a private organization dedicated to butterfly. We didn't see many butterflies, there had been a cold snap the week before and most the butterflies had disappeared. But I did get some pictures.






Texas Olive Trees

Orioles Nest being build

Screech Owl nesting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 29 Challenge

  Yep I'm still on the trail. It seems to be getting harder with the temps staying iun the triple digits. BUT it is getting done. 52 Fra...